Frequently Asked Questions
How do I write to my student?
Our students want to hear from you! We recommend no more than one letter a quarter. The best way to make sure your student receives their correspondence is to:
- Send physical letters to our main Horizons Atlanta office (include the name of your student and their program in the address block) so we can distribute to the appropriate program/child
- Send email communication to email@example.com and our program directors will forward to your student’s family
We understand that it can be tough to get ball rolling and know what to write about. That’s why we have included letter writing tips as a resource, along with an “All About Me” sheet on your student.
Can I give my student gifts?
Unfortunately, sending gifts or additional support to individual students can pose a challenge. If you would like to compliment the generous gift you are already making through your sponsorship and letter writing, please consider:
- Purchasing much-needed program supplies from our wishlist
- Sponsoring some or all of the cost for a celebration or field trip for your student’s class or program
- Sending smaller gifts to each student in your child’s class. Note: A typical Horizons Atlanta class is 15 students
Can I visit my student?
Our 100% Club members do so much for students, and we encourage all of our donors to come and see the work we do in person! Visiting our summer learning programs is a fun, rewarding experience, and a wonderful opportunity to create a special relationship between you and your sponsored student. As a sponsor, you will automatically receive invitations to:
- Participate in a Visitor’s Day event, which includes a tour, classroom observation, and opportunities for student interaction
- Volunteer as a Mystery Reader (typically to younger Horizons classrooms, so please keep that in mind if sponsoring a middle grades student)
Each Horizons Atlanta program is unique and coordinates its own special programming throughout the year. Sponsors may also be invited to attend holiday parties, reunions, swim meets, field trips, end of summer celebrations, and more!
How do you protect the students?
At Horizons Atlanta, we take seriously our duty to protect the privacy and ensure the safety of the students and families we serve. As a 100% Club member, you will have access to photographs of your sponsored student. We ask that you please NOT share the photograph of your student on social media, or share identifying information about your student to a public audience. This includes any combination of details such as first name, school or program name, age, or neighborhood that might identify the student.
Horizons Atlanta will also facilitate exchanges between you and your sponsored student through visits and correspondence. We ask that sponsors never provide any personal contact information directly to students or accept this information from them without prior written permission from their parent/guardian. This helps us provide a safe and positive sponsorship experience for you and your student.
Who should I contact with any other questions?
Please direct all inquiries to Mary-Kate Starkel at firstname.lastname@example.org.